Re: Mental Illness in Cohousing & Society
From: Juva DuBoise (juvadearthlink.net)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 13:21:34 -0600 (MDT)
Just want to add my two cents - 1. If someone is "disabled" from a diagnosed
mental illness it is unlikely they are going to be living in co-housing
unless the community has figured out how to do low income.....SSD isn't
much.  So I would be surprised if there was a disproportionate number (I
would expect less than normal) 2. We, a forming community have not dealt
with this yet but we are incorporating Non-violent Communication
(Compassionate Communication - a more PC term) to help all of us communicate
and using a clearness committee for all new applicants.  Our goal for the
clearness committee is to help potential members be clear about what they
are hoping for in Cohousing and what they are like to find.  My hope is that
this will help find mis-matches.  I for one don't believe that because
someone has a diagnosis mental illness that they would be difficult.  As
said before, more likely problem is the disproportionate number of us
control freaks that are attracked to Cohousing!
Juva - CoHo Corvallis Oregon