Creative Common House Soundproofing?
From: lpoley (lpoleyvt.edu)
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 06:23:07 -0600 (MDT)
We are building our common house and are trying to decide on our sound
proofing plan for the dining area. We have a high ceiling and will have wood
floors so we clearly need some help here.  Has anyone done any soundproofing
on the ceilings or walls of their dining area that is both aestheiticly
creative AND effective?  We were thinking about doing slung canvas sound
proofing on the ceiling or perhaps using large (home-made) quilted panels and
arranging them in an interesting way so they make up a kind of huge quilt in
the ceiling. We were also wondering if hanging quilts as art along the walls
would help with soundproofing.  Any ideas or feedback on these ideas? (We were
not crazy about the tectum when we had a look at it - very institutional
looking from the photos we saw)  We would like to avoid putting a lot of work
into an alternative solution though, if it won't really help in the end.