Re: guns and cigarettes
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 11:14:05 -0700 (MST)
On 27/10/2002 12:12 PM, "Elizabeth Stevenson" <tamgoddess [at] attbi.com> wrote:
> Because we like them and they are hopelessly addicted to something they know
> is bad for them. It's not so simple a thing as whether it's right or wrong.
> It's a delicate social balance.

The bigger issue here is how much does the community want or need to control
private behavior. If the private behavior of other people affects your
comfort level in the community, then it becomes necessary to workout a
solution so everyone is comfortable. This requires reasoned arguments (to
borrow a standard from Sociocracy).

I would assert that the issue of "homeownership" that is basic to cohousing
carries with it independent financial and personal values. No accepted
orthodoxy. In the commonhouse one observes common values. Each member is
responsible for their own values and property and for ensuring that these do
not adversely affect the personal or emotional safety of other members.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org