Re: guns and cigarettes
From: aamato (aamatoworldbank.org)
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 11:13:01 -0700 (MST)
>From Andrew Burguess
> We made some policies before we moved in and had
> to change them once reality hit.

I (and I'm sure the list) would like to hear what those
were.

Thanks
Andrew

Dear Andrew,
Although you sent this to me off list, you asked me to reply to the list, so
here goes.
The policies that we made that we had to revisit upon move-in (ie, a waste of
valuable time) that  I remember quickly are:
- Common House Uses:  before move-in the policy was that we would not charge for
usage of anything.  We now ask for voluntary contributions for use of the guest
rooms and use of any Common House spaces for non Takoma Village-only events
- Common House Reservation policy:  old one was not followed and was very vague
- Pet Policy (don't get me started on this one....)

HOWEVER, I do agree that talking about values and exploring  where people are
coming from IS important upfront -- just that doing that in the context of a
policy about theoretical situations is not a productive use of valuable time and
energy.

Thanks for asking.
Anna
Takoma Village Cohousing