Re: Fire regulations and cohousing
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 13:01:01 -0700 (MST)
> This green road looks like grass, but it has a plastic
> webbing underneath the grass to be able to bear the weight of a fire
> truck.

Wasatch Commons was required to have a 20-ft wide access "road" between the
buildings, able to support an emergency vehicle.  A layer of roadbase is
covered by a five-ft concrete sidewalk and either brick paving or grass
pavers such as Patty describes.  I have described the grass pavers at some
length previously; see the archives.  (Despite the name, much of ours have
groundcover rather than grass.)

Two of us researching the grass pavers visited a fire station and talked to
the chief, who had never heard of them before.

I don't know if the site plans were actually inspected by somebody
knowledgable about fire trucks.  It would require some impressive driving to
make it around the curves of the path without ripping off any porch roofs.

Kay