Re: fire regulations
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:49:02 -0700 (MST)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend Washington

We had to deal with fire code (UFC): hose distances, hydrants,
hammerhead Ts and other truck turnarounds engineered when trucks had to
go more than a certain footage from an intersection down a non-through
street, etc. Common house fire extinguishers, exit signage, power outage
emergency lighting, emergency egress clear paths outside the building.

In one case we couldn't or didn't want to run a road close enough for the
FD to easily serve one of our houses. They allowed us the arrangement
anyway, conditional upon that house having to have a sprinkler system
installed. Perhaps the dilemma of the group with a FD not wanting
multi-family dwellings could be addressed with a sprinkler system. Worth
asking.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com