Re: Resale Policy
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 19:28:04 -0700 (MST)
Hi Diane:

At New View (Acton MA), we effectively have no resale policy. We do have a
similar right of first refusal as Takoma Village and other groups, but we
have no policy on when we would use it. For both of our resales, the sales
were to folks who were demonstrably  interested in cohousing (came to
meetings and meals, and in one case had been involved in cohousing before),
and there was no momentum around trying to use our right of first refusal.
In both cases, the sellers first checked our waiting list to look for
buyers.

In the past we have discussed various ideas around formalizing the
conditions under which we would use our right of first refusal, but there is
no compelling pressure to get it decided. So far, self-selection & the
good-will of the seller have combined to bring us fine new residents.

Since you mentioned diversity issues, don't get too far in your discussions
without a chat with your attorney - there are some complex fair housing law
issues you need to be aware of if you are trying to deal with the diversity
of  legally protected categories such as race.

-Jim