Re: Disaster or emergency preparedness
From: Kay Argyle (argylemines.utah.edu)
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 16:59:01 -0700 (MST)
We're about four miles from the Wasatch Fault, with smaller faults all over.
The middle of the valley has its own dangers, from sediment liquefaction to
a seiche wave off the lake.  Most of our buildings are constructed with
R-control panel, which is supposed to resist earthquakes better than frame
construction.

We agreed to get an earthquake gas shut-off valve for the common house
(which is frame construction), although it hasn't been installed (yet).  The
motion of an earthquake is supposed to trigger the valve automatically, to
reduce the risk of fire.

Kay
Wasatch Commons
Salt Lake City, Utah