Guest Rooms
From: Joani Blank (joaniswansway.com)
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 13:32:31 -0700 (MST)
Last spring, I posted a questionnaire about guest rooms in our completed communities. It was brought to my attention recently that I never posted the a summary of that survey that was responded to by 27 communities. The survey asked about number of guest rooms, cost to different sorts of guests, and who maintains the room(s). I have a chart showing the responses which I can send to anyone who requests it as a Word document attachment. For those of you who cannot receive or cannot read attachments, here is a text-only summary.

Of the 27 communities for whom I have information, 6 have no guest room, 4 say "not yet" or "in progress," 5 have one guest room and 10 have two guest rooms. I know of at least three communities who did not respond each of which has 2 guest rooms. Five communities have no charge for use (two of these accept donations.). A couple of communities charge $5/night, one charges $7, 4 charge $10, one charges $15. One charges nothing for friends of the community and $25 for "others." Only one community charges $25 plus $15 for cleaning up to 5 nights and $1/night for cleaning thereafter. That same group charges $50 for unrelated/stranger guests. One community gives member households seven free days per year for their guests, another gives each household 5 free nights a year. In one community friends and family are free, cohousing folks from other cohousing groups or communities are $10 and "others/the general public" pay $25. Most communities did not respond to the maintenance question but three mentioned that guests are responsible for their own cleanup. I don't know what that cleanup includes.

Joani Blank
Swan's Market Cohousing, Oakland, CA
Member, Board of Directors
THE COHOUSING NETWORK  www.cohousing.org