Re: Cohousing-L digest, Vol 1 #698 - 10 msgs
From: Thea Calzoni (tcalzonimcm.org.au)
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 17:13:04 -0700 (MST)
 Headscarf Day to support Muslim women

As the Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dr Mahatir Mohammed, told his
ASEAN colleagues that Muslims, especially women, were not safe
in Australia, a national day of solidarity with Muslim women and a
protest against racially motivated attacks on Muslim women in
Australian cities is being  organised for November 29 by a Jewish
woman who lives in the Canberra suburb of Lyneham. On Friday,
November 29 Australian women are invited to wear a headscarf in
public for the day.

Avigail Abarbanel, who is President of the Australian National
Network of Counsellors and a practising psychotherapist-
counsellor, says, "I am a Jewish woman, a former Israeli and an
Australian citizen. I have decided to organise Headscarf Day
because, with my background, I simply cannot sit  by and watch
while Muslim people and women in particular are becoming the
target of racism.

"You do not need to change your attire, there is no rally to attend,
no petitions to sign. It's easy. Dress as usual, put a scarf over your
head and go about your day. Any scarf will do" Ms Abarbanel
says, "Headscarf Day is in solidarity with our Muslim sisters who
have been the target of racially motivated attacks in Sydney
recently.

Traditional Muslim women are an easy target because their
traditional dress makes them visible. Let us make them feel that
they belong, and that they are protected, by helping them blend in.
And let us send a message to the racist thugs who attack them
that their behaviour is unacceptable. Men are also invited to join us
by wearing some form of traditional Muslim head dress". She said
that ASIO's raids on Muslim homes were giving legitimacy to racist
attacks on Muslims, and helping to create a culture of 'us and
them' in Australia.
Thea Calzoni
Northern Parent Support Program