Cooking as a social ingredient
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:09:00 -0700 (MST)
Andrew Burgess pointed out that cooking is a social lubricant. My experience
makes me tend to agree with that. I wonder how many built cohousing groups
have very few meals together and how they function as social environments? I
have some limited data, from my own work, which suggests that few meals
tends to define communities  with little social interaction or support. But
my experience is based on examples from only 4 cohousing groups that show
this pattern.

Anybody have other experiences? For arbitrary measure, lets say 4  meals a
month is low. Are there any communities out there on the list  which are on
the low side who feel their social intimacy level is high? Or how about the
opposite, groups with many meals, 12 or more a month, which have a low
social intimacy?

Or to put it another way, is there a relationship between eating together
and social cohesion as a community?

Rob Sandelin
Who occasionally wonders how many actual built cohousing groups are
represented on this list
---