Acid test for community
From: Rob Sandelin (floriferousmsn.com)
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2002 13:09:08 -0700 (MST)
Sheila Braun thought from a post that my acid test for community is  a
willingness to lend a car. No, it is just one sort of measure of how well
you know your neighbors. In pretty much every community I have visited,
borrowing things from one another is a normal part of community life. The
borrowing a cup of sugar is  a defining sign to me. When people are
strangers, you go to the store rather than walk across the hall to borrow a
cup of sugar. This comfort level with interaction is a key base for
understanding your level of community. If you know your neighbors, you have
a base comfort level in borrowing small things from them.

A car, is a much bigger thing to borrow, and is a bigger sign of comfort and
knowledge. Yes, there are people in my own community, some of whom I have
known for 12 years, who I would not comfortably loan my car to. But there
are many others who can have my keys whenever they need them. (assuming I
don't need it). In general, I have a base comfort system that my need for a
car is supported. I feel that if I ever should need a car or a ride, I can
get that fairly easily. And I have several examples over the years of living
here, both giving and receiving, that supports this comfort level. My
sister, who has lived in the same neighborhood in Seattle for 25 years,
does not  have this. When she needed a ride last week, she called a cab.

In the condo with a social design I was  using for an example, there were
dozens of things which told me about the level of relationship of the
residents. Another example was that there were picnic tables in the nice
grassy community commons that most the units looked over. They are rarely
ever used? Why? Because they were Too public. The people who lived in this
condo wanted their privacy. They were apparently uncomfortable being out in
the social space. In many places in America, neighborhood social isolation
has become an astonishing norm in many suburban places. As cohousers, we are
some kind of weirdos. We CHOOSE to interact with our neighbors, in fact, we
want it so much, some of us spend incredible amounts of energy and time to
design and build social interaction based neighborhoods from the ground up.
News teams come and do stories on how we are bucking the trends. It's
newsworthy that neighborhood social interaction is desired and accomplished
by some people. But the norm is isolation.

There have been numerous stories over the years on this list, at cohousing
gatherings, etc to illustrate how easy cohousers find asking their neighbors
for various levels of support. Sometimes of course the answer to asking is
No, but asking is typically not really a huge barrier, especially at the cup
of sugar level. I would say that the comfort level you have in asking your
neighbors for support you need is a an ingredient that defines the social
fabric of your community. And of course, the giving of support is another.
What you do for each other says a lot about the level of what I would call
"community". Community meals are a prime example of this. Yes, there is a
self-serving part to community meals. But it is also a large community
service.

So the ability to borrow a car is just one way to understand a level of
community. And of course, the place I was describing was NOT a community by
intention. It was just a nicely designed condo and it was a prime example,
in my learning, of how little architecture determines community level. I
know there are people who have this strong belief system that architecture
is a key element of community. Many of them are architects and I have argued
with  them for years. From my experiences, just putting people together does
not make them a "community". They have to want to be a community, want to
have relationships enough to put some energy into it. Yes, you can create a
nice social design, but if the people who live there don't want to be
social, then your design will not create the interaction, other than at a
very superficial level. I would dare to opine that cohousing has aspirations
to be much more than superficially social. The social design elements built
into cohousing projects work because we want to be social in the first
place, and so creating designs to enhance social opportunity make it easier
to do what we already strongly desire.

Rob Sandelin
Sharingwood