RE: RE: list etiquette/censorship
From: Greg Dunn (MyListsgregdunn.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 09:21:10 -0700 (MST)

As for Fred, he's a facilitator, not a censor nor an editor.  I favor
keeping the current set-up.  I have never been on any listserv or
interest group where any reasonably cognizant participant would have
been fooled into thinking that the topics and posts were somehow
official law from the sole arbiter of the topic.  In short, if you read
this (or any) list and think that the individual interests and opinions
are somehow absolute, as far as I'm concerned you're beyond my help.
<<

TR:

My complaint was that a message I posted was entirely suppressed - at
least, I have to assume it was, since Fred neglected to answer a
follow-up message I posted to him asking whether he informs people when
he intercepts and suppresses their postings.  If this is all a big
mistake and Fred neither intercepted the message nor received my request
for confirmation about whether he had done so, then he can set the
record straight on that easily.

Said posting of mine was not the least bit inflammatory:  it had to do
with my experience of meaningful friendships with people from whom I had
very different values and/or political leanings.  I posted it in the
context of a discussion about discrimination and the difference between
people's political stances and their performance as neighbors.
Apparently, since said friendships did not occur within the context of
cohousing, Fred decided my comments were off-topic. Or maybe it was
something else.  I am left to guess, and to ask with each posting I
fashion: will this meet Fred's standard, whatever it is? Or am I wasting
my time by trying to contribute to the discussion?

I just don't like being put constantly in that position. I am, on the
other hand, very interested in cohousing. So I'm putting an issue to the
community here, so that it can make a conscious decision about what it
wants to be.

Greg Dunn