Re: Fifty Plus Cohousing + ?
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 00:26:07 -0700 (MST)
I think in all this discussion we're ignoring one of the major problems
people of all ages have that can occur with children; younger children
running rampant and screaming and yelling, essentially out of control.
You'll often find their parents sitting in the dining room or at a picnic
table, having coffee or tea and chatting with other adults, oblivious to the
cacophony they've become used to.  You may think its just a lack of parental
control, but I think it happens for several reasons, many of which are unique
to cohousing:

1) The natural tendency for crowds of kids to get louder and louder, if only
to be heard over the other kids.  To buck this trend takes regular adult
supervision, which tends not to happen at mealtimes.  One family won't let
their son hang out after mealtimes because he gets too revved up and then
crashes and is difficult to get into bed.
2) The many opportunities in cohousing for these crowds of young kids to
gather.  This is often cited as an advantage, and it many mays it is.  But it
isn't common outside of cohousing- crowds of kids are usually found in school
and school events, at sporting events or at birthday parties.  These are all
structured environments, in which a few adults are focused on guiding the
kids.  Cohousing gatherings are frequently much less structured and without
the same focused control from adults (day care at meals, anyone?).   This is
new for most kids and they tend to let go a little more;
3) Different parenting styles and a certain unwillingness to let others
admonish your children or to admonish other people's children.  This is a
frequent topic on this list and in many communities' discussions.  Cohousing
brings together a wide range of parenting experiences and the differences are
often subtle.  How much is too much noise and activity and when is it okay to
admonish someone else's child?;
4) As we age, we tend to have fewer "stores" of energy and less ability to
multi-task.  It becomes more difficult to carry on a conversation when you
have children shrieking and running all around you.  Some folks at Pathways
now avoid larger community gatherings because they don't like how "busy"
things get.

Don't ge me wrong, we've discussed some of these issues here at Pathways and
some progress has been made.  But since cohousing is so new (we've been
around for three years now), it may take some time before satisfactory ways
can be found to resolve these (and other) child/adult issues.  In the
meantime, some older folks may not be willing to wait; they want peace (and
quiet) and they want it now!  Add this to all the other reasons given on this
list serve group and I can understand the attraction of a cohousing
retirement community.

None of this, by the way, means people wanting  a cohousing retirement
community are hostile to children.  They may just like them in smaller doses.
 And what if they are truly hostile to children?  We may not like it (I
certainly don't and hope that isn't anyone's reason), but nobody can force
them to like children and they still need someplace to live.  Why not a
cohousing community? (What a dreary place that would be!)  And by the way, I
doubt that it is illegal to create a 50+ cohousing community.  Retirement
communities are all over the place and have been for years.  With housing
often in short supply, surely by now someone would have forced the issue and
got a family into a retirement community.  Does anyone know the law in this
regard?

Roger
Pathways Cohousing
Northampton, MA

Where a record snowfall (of a light, powdery snow) has turned our paths into
a giant maze, with little cat paw prints in the dustings of snow left by the
wind.