Re: Beds and baths
From: Berrins (Berrinsaol.com)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 08:54:32 -0700 (MST)

In a message dated 2/25/03 3:24:08 PM, curcio [at] cruzio.com writes:

<< We would like to limit unit choices to standard 1, 2, 3 and 4 bedroom
models.  A couple of members in our group would like a large 3 bedroom.
Does it make sense to replace our 4 bedroom option with a large 3 bedroom,
or should we offer both a large and standard 3 bedroom?  Or does our initial
offer make the most sense? >>

At Pathways, we started out offering only 1, 2 and 3 bedroom units but later
added 4 bedroom units due to demand.  To address the size issue, we allowed
each house to add a few feet (2-4) on some sides of the units but kept the
basic layouts of each size unit the same.  This solved quite a few problems
regarding size of rooms, but did add a layer of complexity; the builders and
architects determined which sides of each unit design were the easiest to
enlarge.  We were also allowed to move some of the interior walls around,
again helpful in getting rooms the size people wanted but also adding another
layer of complexity.

Regarding complexity; contractors who are used to doing large residential
complexes should be able to handle design variations.  The biggest problem
for us were the people who wanted changes after the purchase and sale
agreements were signed.  Change orders, without doubt, were the biggest pain
in the butt for the contractor, the most likely things to get screwed up by
the subcontractors and caused the longest delays in construction.  That, and
people feeling entitled to call the contractor whenever they wanted (despite
our having set up a liason with the builder to more efficiently handle these
very same issues).  To cut back on change orders, we added a 50% surcharge to
the contractors fees for change orders (and they charged top dollar for
change orders to begin with).  This was, in part, to reflect the increased
costs to the community in construction loan interest due to the delays that
change orders cause, but it was primarily to discourage change orders.

<<Another issue is bathrooms.  Since bathrooms are a major expense, does it
make sense to limit 2 bedroom units to 1 bathroom instead of 1.5, and 3
bedroom units to 1.5 instead of 2?  Has anyone ever built units with the
plumbing intalled but fixtures to be added at a later date>>

I agree with the other posts- more bathrooms is better.  We had 4 people in
our 2 bedroom apartment before we moved in and often had to wait, especially
in the morning when everyone is getting ready to leave.  Having two bathrooms
now makes life much easier.  But to keep the costs down, install the plumbing
only in one and make it an option to have the fixtures installed in the
second one now.  And if you ever think you may build out the basement with a
bathroom, put that plumbing in now as well.

If you don't want to build a handicapped accessible bathroom now, you may
want to consider designing one or two of the bathroom walls as non-load
bearing walls, with minimal utilities running through the walls, so you can
enlarge the bathroom in the future to make it accessible. I also recommend
pre-installing the blocking for hand rails.  Think aging baby boomers wanting
to live on one floor in a few decades.

Roger
Pathways Cohousing
Northampton, MA