RE: the Denmark connection
From: Forbes Jan (jan.forbesdhhs.tas.gov.au)
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 15:37:01 -0700 (MST)
Tree

I suppose the answer must be partial as there are definitely connections
between cohousing and kibbutzim, not only in Denmark but in North America as
well.  I doubt they alone were the reason that cohousing started in Denmark.
My perception was that there were a number of influences at play that
supported cohousing development for a certain time but that the time is now
over there.  These days the cost is a big deterrent to starting new
communities.

On my visits to cohousing in Denmark I was not aware of strong links to
kibbutzim at any of the communities I visited.  However some places had been
started by people who had either lived in student communes or who had
learned of the benefits of communal living through family members who had
etc. and who wanted something like that but that didn't have the bad things
like living too close and sharing too much.  In my view having adequate
privacy and space are key features of successful cohousing design and these
sorts of designs were pioneered in Denmark through the Building Research
Institute.

Jan