Re: the Dishwasher envelope please!
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 07:37:01 -0700 (MST)

On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 08:03  AM, S. Kashdan wrote:

Even with the commercial dishwasher (and ours uses a strong chemical washing agent), before putting dishes in, we do need to scrub the goop off and rinse
them a little.  Otherwise, they very often don't come out clean.

I've been told by some of our people who use the big washer to think of it more as a sanitizer. All of the dishes are scrubbed before going in. My inexpensive Sears dishwasher takes anything I put in it and cleans even if the dishes sit there for a few days. I do not rinse them first. It has the added advantage of being able to turn off the heater when I want to clean plastic. They are washed in hotter water than my hands could stand but are not melted. Since plastic storage containers don't go in the mouth this should be sufficient for a commonhouse kitchen as well.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC