Re: Re: Dishwashers
From: Dahako (Dahakoaol.com)
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 07:26:02 -0700 (MST)
Hi all -

Sorry gang, this reminds me of the paint color arguments.  Sounds as if some
people place a high value on having a dishwasher that lets them completely
clean up the kitchen and leave nothing from the previous meal for the next team
to deal with.  And some place a high value on having a homier kitchen and
spending less money on a dish machine.

Who's right?  Everyone, as usual.  This will be a good thread for forming
communities to help them figure out what they value and design themselves a
workable kitchen.

For the record - I've worked in a busy restaurant kitchen with a slide-in
commercial dishwasher that unloaded into a cart, in my mother's wedding
catering gigs with a single residential dishwasher and a regular sink, and in a
cohousing common house with a waist-high lift-the-tray-in commercial
dishwasher.  Up to about 35-40 settings, I think the residential set-up is fine
if no one needs the dishes for immediate subsequent use.  For larger groups
than that, or if you need to turn the plates around for an immediate subsequent
event (as in a restaurant or occasionally in my cohousing group), my preference
would be for the slide-in commercial model.  The tray lifting design isn't one
I'd want to do again.

My two cents -
Jessie Handforth Kome
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, Maryland
Where we just did the common house programming workshop but haven't talked
about dishwashers yet.
http://www.easternvillage.org