Re: dishwashers
From: Lynn Nadeau / Maraiah (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 11:02:43 -0700 (PDT)
RoseWind Cohousing, Port Townsend WA

Commercial slide-through-racks counter-top DW, In use 12 years.
We eat together twice a week, about 30 people on average (might be 12 or 45 on occasion).
Clean up is on-the-spot volunteers, and well supported.
Diners scrape compost, dump flatware in soapy water dishpan. Racks are loaded by a person who swishes a soapy dish brush over the plates prior to racking them: way less mess than the spray, and saves hot water.

Without enough space to let it all air dry, we use freshly-laundered white flour-sack dishtowels to whisk the hot Corelle plates dry and stack on the rolling dish cart. We keep the clean towels on the cart, so they don't get used for anything else. After being used at one meal, they go into the laundry again. Ditto for dish rags and counter rags. We don't use sponges.

There's a triple sink for pots, a double regular sink for knives, wine glasses and odd leftover pieces. The soap and very hot water make it pretty sanitary.

Though open to the dining room, the noise isn't a problem, we just stop it if someone is making an announcement.

People step up to help, or get handed a table-wiping rag or broom !

Maraiah Lynn Nadeau
Say- we have two resales in the low 300s. And an amazing Fiddle Tunes Festival, Blues Festival, Wooden Boat Festival. And it's 65 degrees out. Come work and play with us...
www.rosewind.org