Re: Affordable housing - rentals
From: aamato (aamatoworldbank.org)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 07:53:01 -0700 (MST)

Hmm, so it looks like you have 8 renters out of 62 total residents (includes
everyone) at Jackson Place.  That's about 13%.
Here at Takoma Village we have about 9 renters (renting either rooms or whole
units) out of about 70 residents*  also about 13%.  So that's quite a bit above
5%. We have 43 units.  I wonder if our communities are average, or if we are
anomalies.
Anna Amato
Takoma Village
Washington, DC

*does not include the 27 cats, 2 dogs and a hamster (who is a new resident).

"Rob Sandelin" floriferous [at] msn.com wrote on Thursday, April 03, 2003 7:29
PM
Subject: [C-L]_Affordable housing - rentals
One of the points is: Home ownership is out of the reach of a large block of
people who might otherwise be excellent cooperative  neighbors. Of course
one way to create lower cost housing is to create rental opportunities
within cohousing. I wonder, how many such "person/units" of rental
opportunity exist in built cohousing today? From experience, but without
actual data, I would guess we have less than 5% rental opportunities. What
do you think? Is this about on track?

Here at Jackson Place Cohousing, we have 62 people, including 40 adults and
12 children. There are 27 homes owned. One is owned by a nonprofit
organization that cares for the developmentally delayed, and 3 unrelated
developmentally delayed men live in that three-bedroom home as renters. All
of the other homes are occupied by owners families. We also have 4 adults,
including 1 mother with 1 child, renting rooms in 3 separate homes. All of
these rooms have separate bathrooms and entrances. One has a small separate
kitchen.

Sylvie Kashdan
skashdan [at] scn.org
Jackson Place Cohousing