legal agreement with independent contractors
From: Louisa Rogoff Thompson (louisathompsonerols.com)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:34:16 -0600 (MDT)

Susan Pniewski wrote:

I would suggest if you are to employ anybody as a cash employee, you should
have them fill out the required I-9 and W-4 and then at the end of the year
report on a 1099.  Then you would not be expected to pay any employer taxes,
the employee would be required to sort all of that out themselves.  But, to
their benefit, they can then deduct a ton of expenses making the payment and
taxable amount negligible.  YOu should have a stock agreement to use with
everybody that states in clear terms that they are an independent
contractor, they are responsible for all injuries, they are responsible for
all their errors and omissions, and taxes, and they you provide no insurance
coverage for them.  It should also say they agree to indemnify you for any
and all legal bills incurred as a result of their employment with your
group.  Then they will have little leg to stand on in the case of an injury,
no attorney will take that kind of case without a fat retainer up front,
which few people will be willing to part with, and they will still lose in
the end.  You protect yourselves that way from the IRS, liability, and from
misunderstandings.  I have a form that could be modified to suit your needs,
I'd be happy to share.

Susan,

Please do share your form.  If you have it on your computer, could you just
copy it into the body of an e-mail?  I'm sure many groups would be glad to have
it.

Thanks.

Louisa Thompson
(in process of becoming a member of) Hundredfold Farm, a cohousing project
getting ready to build in Cashtown, PA