RE: Re: paying babysitters and liability
From: Sue Pniewski (SPniewskiHabijax.com)
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 07:36:11 -0600 (MDT)
If you explicity contract the person to be an independent contractor, they
can NOT sue you on premise liability successfully using the
employer/employee standing.  The IRS has nothing to do with premise
liability.

As for the IRS and tax liability, if they are casual labor, not a scheduled
employee, and the place of work may vary, and there is no contract for a
length of employment, you can make a very good argument that they are a
contractor.  A  babysitter who occasionally comes to your place, drives
themselves, gets paid by the event, not a salary, and who provides their own
insurance etc., is not going to be classified as an employee.
Under your theory, every person hiring a babysitter so they can go out for
the evening is liable for employment taxes.  This is silly, and not what the
IRS intends.  It is not feasable that everybody who hires a babysitter
complete employment forms and the IRS does not have the capacity to handle
that kind of paperwork in any case.  If you specifically contract to be an
independent contractor, and follow the guidelines, the IRS risk is minimal.

This is from your article:
Should I use written agreements when I do independent contract work for
clients?

Absolutely. Using a written agreement avoids disputes by providing a written
description of the services you're supposed to perform, when they are to be
performed and how much you will be paid.

A written independent contractor agreement can also help establish your
independent contractor status. Although an agreement by itself is never
enough to make a worker an independent contractor, it will help show the IRS
and other agencies that both you and the hiring firm intended to create a
hiring firm-independent contractor relationship, not an employer-employee
relationship.

When this agreement is combined with the facts of their employment it is
enough.  Advising that an agreement is not necessary, or that it is not not
going to do any good is just WRONG.

Susan Pniewski, Esq.
General Counsel
Habitat for Humanity of Jacksonville