Re: Should individual "sponsorship" be allowed of community property?
From: Joe Nolan (jnolanadobe.com)
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:34:07 -0600 (MDT)

We use a discretionary spending system that seems to work pretty well for us. The group priorites are determined by a "vote with your dollars" process.

The annual budget contains a certain amount for discretionary spending. A portion of that is reserved for larger projects (over $1K) and the rest for smaller projects. (If I remember correctly it is currently budgeted at $4800/yr for small projects, $2400/yr for large projects.) We have a quarterly discretionary spending meeting (part of that month's business mtg) to fund the small projects. Individuals submit their proposals by a specific deadline, and they are approved/rejected by the group prior to the allocation mtg (almost never is something rejected - it would have to be detrimental to the community). At the allocation meeting, each family allocates its portion of the available money (e.g. $30 for the quarter) to the approved projects, however they see fit. Fully funded projects go forward. Sometimes partially funded projects come back multiple times for more donations. Note, some projects may be approved but never get funded. People are allowed to kick in extra cash for items they really want, so that one family could in theory completely fund a given project (rarely happens this way). Households are also allowed to withdraw their portion of the discretionary funds at the allocation mtg.

The big project fund (aka "Cookie Jar") works a little differently - it just builds up for an indefinite period until someone brings a proposal to the group for spending some or all of it.

Joe Nolan
Ecovillage at Ithaca / FROG
<http://www.ecovillage.ithaca.ny.us/>