sliding scale assessments
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 15:37:07 -0600 (MDT)
The recent discussions of the dynamics of having some things funded by
donations, prompts me to mention that RoseWind (Port Townsend WA) is now
in our third year of sliding-scale assessments. I have probably detailed
it in the past, on the list, but can mention the essentials.

Reason: To allow financial relief for those who request it, while not
pulling community spending down to a lowest common denominator. (This
would avoid a situation where because one member had $200 less, the
budget would need to get chopped back by $4800, as 23 other households
also would pay $200 less, in a flat rate system.)

System:
Committees and community discussion circles work out a proposed budget.
The equal-share assessment amount is calculated (currently about $850 a
year.)
Each household informs the treasurer if they pledge
a) the equal-share amount
b) up to 20% less, if claiming financial need, self determined
c) an amount over the equal-share amount
Who pledges how much is technically info that anyone could access, but it
is not publicized. Of our 24 households, we've seen spreads like 4-under,
12-standard, 4-over. So if the standard was $1000, some paid $800, others
paid $1200 and it averaged out.

The pledges are totaled and ideally the "over" pledges balance out the
"under" pledges.
We are still experimenting with how to adjust things if it doesn't come
out even.
The first year we asked committees to volunteer to reduce requests to
deal with a deficit. (Some liked that, because it made it clear that if
you offer less, collectively, you get less.)
The second year, we did 3 rounds of pledging, and raised more money on
each round, till we were close, and a renter's voluntary donation
supplied the small deficit that remained.
This year, the idea is that if there is a deficit of less than $800 we
will let it ride and discuss it next fall, quite possibly covering it
from our usual surplus of unspent line items.  We're still experimenting.
But in general, we are finding this a useful system.

Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing
http://www.rosewind.org
http://www.ptguide.com
http://www.ptforpeace.info (very active peace movement here- see our