RE: Yom Kippur and diversity in groups
From: Sue Pniewski (SPniewskiHabijax.com)
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:03:08 -0600 (MDT)
Racheli-
I have to agree with you there in experience.
Unfortunate, but true.
My personal religion has sacred days different from most traditional.
Nobody asks.
I don't make a fuss.
We also celebrate Christmas for the spirit of benevolence.
Plus, my job kindly pays me to stay home on that day.
I suspect the only fair way to go about it is to ask everybody interested to
put their holidays on a master calendar, and then try to scehdule around it.
I suspect in practice that would never work, since there aren't many days
left.
I'm sure somebody has planned an event on the vernal equinox.
I guess I should be angry that they don't care about me.
I guess I should be hurt that my priorities/needs aren't foremost on
everybodies list.
I'm not.
In the effort to be human, compassionate, forgiving, and understanding,
I understand we all have different priorities, needs, wants, desires, and
holidays.
We all can't have it our way.
All this bickering sounds like my son's preschool class.
We can't ever please everybody.
Lets live with it and make the best of it.

Susan Pniewski, Esq.