Religious Practices in Cohousing
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2003 07:40:07 -0600 (MDT)
I was raised to believe that religion is a private act of devotion and
obedience and not a public act requiring recognition or acceptance by
others. Once religious practices and observances become public they speak
less of god and more of ego. Religious observances are (I was taught)
designed to be days of withdrawal from worldly things. To require that the
community stop for my holidays would be antithetical to their purpose.

The only respect required for my private religious practices would be that
the community not punish me for observing them. For me to believe that the
scheduling of a crucial meeting on "my" holiday would in anyway affect
either my religious faith or the future of the community would be an act of
extremely deluded ego or very shallow practice.

One just quietly reminds the group that one will not be there.

Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC
http://www.takomavillage.org