Re: Hiring community members
From: Jim Snyder-Grant (jimsgnewview.org)
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 16:23:31 -0700 (PDT)
Answers mixed in below, from New View cohousing (Acton MA)

Terri Hupfer wrote:

1. Do you have additional liability insurance to cover community members doing
volunteer work in the community?
Our liability insurance covers most every legal activity on site, except for folks injured while doing paid work here. For that, we have worker's comp. (We also have Directors & officers insurance, but that's a different story)

Our worker's comp covers paid workers that don't have their own worker's comp (as long as they are doing 'ordinary condo maintenance' - eg no ladder or roof work) We pay premiums based on paying out 15K of wages during the year. Each year we get a review, and so far, each year we geta refund (we pay out less than 15K to workers without their own workers comp).

2. Have you hired a community member for pay who had special skills?

Sure, but not an electrician or plumber.

3. Was that community member a licensed contractor?
No.

4. Do you require all folks who you hire to work in the community to be
licensed and insured, and do they need to have an extra HOA rider on their
insurance?

No. We need their insurance certificate, which lists what sort of insurance they have. If they are a one-person operation, and they don;'t have workers comp, and they are working only on general condo maintenance, our insurance broker assures us we are covered.

If they are getting up on roofs, or using ladders, we require that they have their own workers comp coverage. If we are unsure if what they are doing is covered uner our workers comp, we call our agent.

Workers comp & liability insurance laws of course do vary frem state to state.

5. Do you use a property management company, and if so, what do they cover and
at what sort of cost?

No.

Thank you for answers to any or all of these questions.

Terri Hupfer (gordita [at] pacbell.net)

Pleasant Hill Cohousing, Bay Area, California

--
Jim Snyder-Grant
18 Half Moon Hill