Questions about co-housing from a new list member
From: Laura Jones (peveriljyahoo.com)
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:36:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hi. I'm Laura and I live in metro Atlanta with my husband and 3 kids (13, 9,
and 4). There are two co-housing communities in Atlanta. We are interested in
both. However, we don't know anyone who lives in either community.

What is the best way to get a feel for how a particular co-housing community
works on a day-to-day level as an outsider looking in? Co-housing is different
from subdivision living, in that there will be much more interaction with our
neighbors. That's great because that's one of the things that attracted me to
co-housing in the first place - a sense of community that we don't have in our
current location.

As a general question, what is the best way to determine how our family would
fit into a particular co-housing community?

I am most concerned with how our kids would fit in, and whether our parenting
styles would clash with those of the other families. Questions that are tough
to answer in just a short visit to a community.

If you moved into an established co-housing development, can you please share
how you got a feel for the place prior to making the commitment to live there?
I've considered renting for a year, but that's probably not feasible because we
don't want the headache of renting out current place....

Thanks-

Laura Jones