Re: Architectural Review
From: Robert Heinich (robert_heinichjuno.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:33:33 -0800 (PST)
Sharon,

If the item does not interfere with safety (planters blocking a fire path),
then you are trying to reach consensus on aesthetics (which is difficult).

Your choices are to allow them all or to ban all of them.  Any middle ground
will be very difficult to enforce (why is my "This is Bush country" sign banned
but xyz is permitted).

It is probably best to seek guidance from cohousing communities that are more
like condos than lot development like Eno Commons.

Robert Heinich (who was a condo president in Boca Raton, FL)
Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
Durham, NC
http://www.enocommons.org

-- Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> wrote:
Do people have architectural review policies that regulate what people
can do outside their units -- neon signs, dog kennels, hammocks,
attached sun shades, etc.

We need to review ours and have little agreement beyond things that
violate fire and building codes or directly infringe on a neighbor's
space.

We now have hanging on various porches and overhangs, Buddhist flags,
American flags, macrame hangings, wire bumblebees, sun blinds, extra
locks on doors, planters, political signs in windows (perpetually), and
signs on doors (mottos), etc. Various of these things bother some
residents more than others but each of them is objectionable to
someone.

Please note whether your community is a lot development model or
attached multi-household dwellings. It makes a difference when you
neighbor's offensive object is 40 feet or 4 feet away.

Thanks,
Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines