Re: Architectural Review
From: James Kacki (jimkackimb.sympatico.ca)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 17:24:16 -0800 (PST)
I can't offer specific advice on your situation, Sharon, but your problems highlight the fact that for developing communities, it would be good to agree during the planning / design process, what the overall environmental /visual/philosophical concept is that you are striving toward, and put in writing as a set of 'design guidelines' for the initial designs as well as for future modifications / enhancements to the development.
James

-- Sharon Villines <sharon [at] sharonvillines.com> wrote:
Do people have architectural review policies that regulate what people can do outside their units -- neon signs, dog kennels, hammocks, attached sun shades, etc.

We need to review ours and have little agreement beyond things that violate fire and building codes or directly infringe on a neighbor's space.

We now have hanging on various porches and overhangs, Buddhist flags, American flags, macrame hangings, wire bumblebees, sun blinds, extra locks on doors, planters, political signs in windows (perpetually), and signs on doors (mottos), etc. Various of these things bother some residents more than others but each of them is objectionable to someone.

Please note whether your community is a lot development model or attached multi-household dwellings. It makes a difference when you neighbor's offensive object is 40 feet or 4 feet away.

Thanks,
Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines