Using Legal Advice [WAS: Concerning Consensus and established CoHo communities
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:16:36 -0800 (PST)

On Mar 14, 2005, at 12:49 PM, Rob Sandelin wrote:

I would strongly disagree that dealing with lawyers is any way to deal with situations described. If your goal is to be a community, then you need to focus on how to do that. I can say with some confidence that lawyers and
rules will not make a community of caring people.

I don't think lawyers create a community of caring people but they can be very useful in working with people who have no interest in being a caring person in a community. They can also be useful in bringing people back to their senses when they are confiscating public land for private purposes which it sounds like is going on in this community.

We have a very good law firm in DC that works only with condos. Our lawyer has been very good at pointing out when something is potentially of great risk to the community and when it is not. She handled a very difficult negotiation with our developer without becoming confrontational. In other instances she has been very good at prioritizing things for us so we could distinguish between the really important and the not so important in terms of liability and financial risk.

She has been very helpful in assuring those who want to do everything with a lawyer that that is not necessary. For example, we don't need letters signed by a lawyer to give the board any authority. She has not infrequently said "No, you don't need me to handle that. It will resolve itself."

Lawyers can be the kiss of death but they can also be the kiss of life -- just like other professionals. In many instances they allay fears and that is a good thing.

I changed the subject line because the community we are discussing has only been moved in from 6-12 months so it really isn't an established community and this response isn't related to consensus.

Sharon
-----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing, Washington DC