Re: Latest on Community-wide data systems
From: Robert Heinich (robert_heinichjuno.com)
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 07:00:06 -0800 (PST)
>>> We hope to WiFi our system, since we're all located close together.

As your hoomes are in the planning stages, why NOT planned a wired network.
While WiFi is nice, wired is more reliable.  WiFi is still troubled by
'problem' trees and rain.  I have NOT had any difficulties with my internal
wired network AND the community wireless network (maintained by me) has been
fussy.

Robert Heinich
Eno Commons Cohousing Neighborhood
9 Indigo Creek Trail / Durham, NC 27712-2564
(e) robert_heinich [at] juno.com

-- Joel Plotkin <joel [at] sunyit.edu> wrote:

Dear folks:

I've checked the archives on community data systems (cable TV and Internet
access) and found the 1997 technical data very helpful, as well as the 2002
information. Are there any list members who have more recent information in
this fast-moving field?

Hundredfold Farm in Cashtown PA is a rural cohousing project with 14 planned
homes. We'd like to find a way to get our data and TV without being reliant on
the big communication companies. Does anyone have experience with community-
owned satellite access? We have heard one opinion that direct satellite links
are undesirable for Internet access because they do not come with adequate
firewalls (but this is from someone who subcontracts with the Pentagon). What
about the big dishes that were popular fifteen years ago for TV? They required
decoders, but not monthly maintenance fees. We hope to WiFi our system, since
we're all located close together.

Reply on or off list.
Joel Plotkin