RE: Latest on Community-wide data systems
From: Perry_rg (peregryn2356yahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 10:34:53 -0800 (PST)
~!93!~

Fred,

Thanks for editing my message and forwarding it to the list.  In the future, I
will do my best to remember to trim the messages myself.  I had forgotten about
the message size limit on this list.

Perry Godwin
Lansing, Michigan

~!93!*!93/93!~

Fred H Olson <fholson [at] cohousing.org> wrote:
Perry_rg
is the author of the message below. It
was posted by Fred, the Cohousing-L list manager
after deleting much quoted material which in part made it too big to be
posted without review. Cohousing-L has a maximum message siqe (without
review of 8K bytes. I eliminating bottom quoting while I was at it.

Please delete all unneeded quoted material from your posts. Thanks.
Fred

-------------------- FORWARDED MESSAGE FOLLOWS --------------------

Alexander Robin A wrote:
> I think this is an excellent suggestion. It is critical to plan and
> build it in during the construction phase.

Unfortunately, it seems that now some builders think that with the advent
of wireless networking, it is no longer necessary to put Ethernet network
cabling into new construction. I happen to personally think this is a
mistake. Cat5e or Cat6 network cabling would allow network speeds
significantly higher (gigabit Ethernet) than wireless is likely to be
capable of in the near future. While this sort of speed may not be
necessary for simple browsing of the Internet, it is needed for things
like streaming video files from a home's media server computer to a video
playback device. Another advantage is that wired Ethernet is
significantly less susceptible to interference and signal loss, especially
compared with wireless. Wired is also more secure than wireless.

[snip]