Re: elevators
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:47:59 -0700 (PDT)
I speak from Canadian experience, -the technology is generally the same in the U.S.A., but, as you say, Codes may differ. There are generally 3 types of elevators for group use.-but check with local suppliers about specifics in your area.

1) Handicap lift (for wheelchairs and general use). the cheapest, moves slowly, one has to keep one's finger on the button the entire time the elevator is moving, there is no front wall to the cab, meaning that you see the the shaft wall moving as you go up or down. A safety issue for kids.

2) A L.U.L.A. lift (LULA stands for Low Use, Low Activity) Looks and acts like a standard elevator. One touch of the button contols up & down (i.e. one does not have to keep one's finger on the button in order to keep moving). -moves slower than a regular elevator, but for one floor its not a big issue. The elevator itself is not much cheaper than a standard elevator (+/- $35,000 -$40,000 in Canada) but the shaft, pit(14" deep) and electrical service are cheaper (single phase power rather than 3 phase power -saves $5-10,000 if you don't presently have 3 phase power) Manufactured by Federal Elevator, the model is called Serena, or by Concord Elevator, & others I'm sure.

3) Standard elevator. Too expensive and more than you need (designed for offices, apartments, etc.)

A residential elevator is much smaller, intended for single person use genarally, I don't have much info on them.

James

Patricia Chadwick wrote:
Hi all,

We are planning a cohousing development in California and are committed
to universal design. Because we have a fairly small plot of land we
discussed building some units over the common house and therefore
installing an elevator. Has anyone included an elevator in their plans
and if so, can you give me a rough idea of the cost, including
maintenance? The elevator would only be going up one floor. Is a
commercial elevator required or could a residential one be used? I know
this may differ depending on local building codes but I'd appreciate any
info anyone has.

Thanks, Pat

Janes Creek Cohousing, Arcata, CA