RE: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Fleck (foam4uworldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:20:35 -0800 (PST)
Hi,
from Jackson Place Coho in Seattle....Our project has two rows of townhouses
separated by a courtyard/path/garden. We originally had cut gravel which was
HORRIBLE. Puddles, irregualr surfaces, rocks in your house. Those with
hardwood floors were not happy.

We put pavers in to clean things up and for wheeled access - chairs, carts,
kids toys, etc. Works fine, drains well, a little bumpier than asphalt but
the guys who installed it did a very curvy, organic path and it's beautiful.
There are "bulb-outs" in places for benches and small tables and gathering
spots. We also have folks with visual problems so the edge stones are raised
about 1" above the main path.

FYI: In some public gardens in Japan they use pea gravel for 2 unexpected
(Western point of view) reasons. First; it slows people down, second; it
sounds cool.

Good luck,
Anne F