Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: Jock Coats (jock.coatsoxfordshirecommunitylandtrusts.org.uk)
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 19:09:00 -0800 (PST)
Indeed, they do get slippery, and I would not advocate them for areas that would have to be cleared of snow. They're primarily used for "secondary" vehicle access - areas where vehicles should not be regularly but may need to access on occasion. They don't withstand regular vehicle use anyway - so if that's what you're after, you might find you end up with some pretty concrete hexagons full of mud.

For footpaths, if you want to avoid macadam surfaces, you could look at "hoggin" as we call it in the UK:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/projects/patio_hogginpath.shtml

In my experience it packs hard enough to scrape to near the surface and because it's made of sand and clay tends to be 'self gritting'. Can need topping up every few winters though.

Jock