Re: Landscape Design/Pedestrian Paths
From: thyme (thymegogglebox.com)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 17:48:02 -0800 (PST)
I am also a landscape architect, and love DG. We specify it often, and for
large, high-foot traffic, public spaces. I'll second someone else's
comments that it needs to be detailed well by the landscape architect,
installed properly, not drained onto, and include minimum "fines" (small
grade particles). If you are still concerned about dust or mud or
wheelchair users, you can try stabilized dg - mixed with resin, lots of
companies produce this type of product. Slightly less of the crunch, but
still permeable and much more durable. Crowning the path so it drains into
the surrounding landscape is also important. Another option is
"NaturalPave", which is a type of resin pavement that acts and installs
much like asphalt (www.sspco.com). Good luck!

Megan Walker
Associate / Landscape Designer
LEED Accredited Professional