Re: Not Enough Privacy in Cohousing?
From: Martin Sheehy (martinsheehyyahoo.com)
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 17:14:46 -0800 (PST)
I apologise for my poor & ' vain ' attempts at humour & my inappropraite ( '
not appropriate ': Probably the word/phrase, more than any other, used by a
frightened society, to silence the talker-maverick. " Kill the messinger ")
remarks, perceived, at least by one member of this list, as ' offensive ' .

  His kindly shared view of my perception of that movie, which didn't win best
Oscar, will now give me pause before going to see it. More years ago than I
care to admit " Victim ", " The Boys in the Band ", " Midnight Express ", etc.
surely made me ' uneasy '...though not for his extrapolated reasons. And, while
eschewing ' censorship ' he hints at its ' appropraiteness ' in my case.

  As to my ' bestial ' sheep comment, I meant ' chickens ' of course.

  I am glader, however, that:

  1) Others found my original post on this topic of ' sexualiy in cohousing '
as food for thought & constructive, non-judgemental comment, & open, free
discussion & sharings on this topic,

  2) That I live way OUT west, and not in Upstate NY.

  Martin.
cameron rabe <camrabe [at] yahoo.com> wrote:
  I have never responded to any of the posts on this
listserve, though I have read many with great
interest, especially as they apply to our forming
community in upstate NY.

However, Martin's post re: "Not Enough Privacy in
Cohousing" compels me to respond. I feel that his
post, while trying in vain to be humorous, contained
some patently offensive remarks that are not
appropriate in this forum.

First, the title of the film is "Brokeback MOUNTAIN"
-"exotic" enough to be a box office hit and be
nominated for several Academy Awards. While Martin may
have had an uneasy feeling creep over him as he
watched the film, for many others it was a beautiful
love story capturing the struggle to be gay in an
unaccepting straight world. Martin seems to
extrapolate his uneasy feelings about homosexuality to
the entire straight population, indeed to the whole
human race and I assure him that there are many
tolerant folk who would disagree.

He also writes
>it may come as a
> somewhat rude awakening to some that Neighbor Tom in
> Cottage # 5 is gay, or that Neighbor Larry in
> Cottage # 69 likes sheep ( most especially if the
> CoHousing Community indulges itself in husbandry
> :-.)

Is this for real?? This is a tired stereotype: linking
homosexuality to bestiality. It's right up there with
"they're going to try to convert your kids." If it
would be such a rude awakening to discover that your
neighbor is gay, why is Martin attracted to cohousing,
where intentionality in relationships is the name of
the game?

I don't support censorship. I do believe, though, that
we are responsible to keep our posts respectful, and I
feel that Martin crossed that line.