Re: tipping point (aka screening)
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 08:18:21 -0700 (PDT)

On May 18, 2006, at 10:30 PM, Tree Bressen wrote:

*You can choose as a
group to put certain filters in place early on that will serve your group
well in the future.*  And you can choose to have these filters be
actionable, behavior-based filters.  For example, filters i personally
recommend include:

(1) Decide within your first few meetings that EVERYONE will be expected to
help cook common meals, and make sure every new person that joins your
forming group is aware of this expectation.

(2) Expect and invite people to contribute to the work of the group as
early as possible.  Make it clear that once someone has attended three
meetings or whatever, it's time to get involved on a committee, or helping organize social outings, or something else that clearly adds to the life of
the group.

(3) Require a financial contribution early on (monthly dues or whatever)
and make decision-making power contingent on that payment.

I think Tree's suggestions are excellent and if everyone observed them would be much happier down the line. The C-L would be a much quieter place also!

Throwing up your hands and saying "it isn't legal" or "we have no control" is a cop out. Everyone has control -- you just have to assume it. Tell people what you expect. And reinforce your expectations clearly.

Every time you hear a member of the group say something that dilutes these expectations, like saying "that's what it says but no one does it" counter with 'yes, everyone does follow these expectations. They may have emergencies or exceptions but this is the norm and it is expected. We all do this." It may not be "technically" true but say it anyway. It should be true in spirit.

People who want to move in just to move in and have no intention of doing any work are very attuned to hearing that they can get away with things. We now have renters in a unit who are refusing to even come to an orientation!!!! They were given a lease by a new owner who herself was never well integrated into the community because she purchased from a woman who was only minimally involved. The renters heard loud and clear as third generation do-as-they-pleasers that everything was optional and they are exercising their options.

Being accommodating and vague because you don't want to sound like a storm trooper, will come back to bite you in the foot a million times.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
http://www.sociocracy.info