Re: Feedback Requested Cohousing Plan
From: Saramandaia Farm (etaincryahoo.com)
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 12:28:51 -0700 (PDT)
I don't know, Bonnie.  I've been reading the various lists and  websites and
rules and "expectations" now for quite a while.  From  my vantage point, it
appears that anyone joining a co-housing community  after the first wave, or
founding group, does exactly that...joins a  community in progress, not in the
the planning stages.  I've seen  requirements of financial solvency (of
course), for NVC training, for  meeting attendance, for conversations with
members, etc.  That  doesn't disqualify those communities from co-housing
status.  I  see that the plan proposed is more rigid than some, and has clearly
 been decided upon (hopefully tentatively) by fewer people than most
prospective co-housers might find acceptable, but there's always the  fact of
the difference between founders and joiners.  The latter  are more or less
buying into a package deal...the larger the community,  in fact, the less
impact an individual or family will probably  have...being 10% of a community
 means having more input than being 1%  of a community.  I do know that I would
discard as a viable option  residence in some of the communities I read about
because the rules or  expectations wouldn't be a good fit for us, and we'd have
little  opportunity to affect them after they're in place.  Maybe it's  some
subset of "The first duty of an institution is to perpetuate  itself."

  I'm following with interest the development of a residential community  here
in Costa Rica begun by partners who planned to incorporate many  energy-saving
and otherwise ecologically positive features, only to  come up against vocal
factions who feel the NEED for electric  dishwashers, hot-tubs, and
washer/dryer units for each household.   It's causing some friction.  None of
those items was originally  planned for, and, in fact, all were being
discouraged in favor of more  community-owned and controlled amenities...not to
mention washing  dishes by hand:)  All complicated by the fact that virtually
every  family in this culture that can afford one has a maid.   Whee:)  I'm
watching and , hopefully, learning.  I think that  I'm seeing some of these
problems solved (in a way) by the fact of  people voting with dollars (or
colones here).  People who say they  might withdraw are being accomodated
perhaps, because they have the  money to lay out for the purchase of their
 shares and also for the  addition of any non-standard appliances.  And those
changes are a  condition of their investment.