Re: Pea gravel "pit" around playstructure
From: tamgoddess (tamgoddesscomcast.net)
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 21:20:25 -0700 (PDT)
we now have stuff that we love, after years of struggling with wood chips of
various kinds because we couldn't afford the approx. $7000 to get the soft
rubber surface for a playground.

It's recycled rubber tire, and it comes in different colors. It looks like
bark, so it's visually very pleasing. But it's ENORMOUSLY more comfortable and
more importantly, safe. We researched this very thoroughly, it's eco-friendly,
and this is the best stuff available. It's not cheap, but it SO worth it. I
think we spent a couple thousand dollars.

It never compressess, so we don't have to turn it over to fluff it up in order
for it to be a safe fall space, and it drains beautifully, so we never have to
replace it because it doesn't fall apart and clog the drains. I've seen
children fall off our high play structure and literally bounce, unharmed, off
this stuff. The only maintenance is occasionally adding another bag due to
attrition, and maybe once/year, raking it out so that it's even.

And it doesn't harm wood floors!

It comes compacted in a bale, so it's a bit of work to spread it around the
first time, but it was just one work party, where we used to have to do at
least a big work party every year to fix the old stuff, and it was still
dangerous and dirty.

Liz

From: "Leslie Warren" <leswar [at] sonic.net>