Re: Making 'Clean Energy' Pay
From: James Kacki (jimkackimts.net)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:30:32 -0700 (PDT)
Do you mean 60 feet? or actually 600?!

Katie Henry wrote:
Concerning geothermal -- You don't need all that much space for wells. We have forty 600-foot wells in our courtyard, which measures 48 feet by 128 feet.

Katie
Eastern Village Cohousing
Silver Spring, MD

Nothing against solar, but no one has (recently) mentioned ground source heat pumps. Since most of our residential energy needs are concerned with heating and cooling houses, this is an awfully good way to save energy, IMHO. No visual impact, no noise, some capital investment, pretty good repair record - what's not to like ? Add some passive solar and PV, and you might be in pretty good shape ! Yes, you need space to drill a well, but we have18 ground source wells running here at LV in a clustered unit layout with almost no problems in 5 years.

Cheers

JAB