Re: cohousing and career change
From: Tree Bressen (treeic.org)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:42:19 -0800 (PST)
Hello Andrew,

I am at a point in my life where I am actively pursuing career change.
 Purely coincidently, I am also starting up a new cohousing
development.  My question is whether having been involved in a
cohousing development has afforded you skills, abilities, or even
accreditation(s) that you have been able to effectively use as the
basis for a new career, or a new career path?  I am equally interested
to hear from those using their new skills as employees and as
self-employed professionals, especially those with a technical
background.

Sitting through hundreds of hours of community meetings (and meetings of organizations in the wider communities movement) gave me the skills i now use in my fulltime work as a freelance facilitator and process skills teacher. I have been teaching a facilitation training series in CA and several of the students who attend it are considering group facilitation as a possible future career (which is good, because i think at this point the demand for skilled facilitators exceeds the supply).

I also found that serving on the budget committee for a few years at my first community home provided me with basic financial skills training that has been helpful in running my own business.

Good luck to you,

--Tree Bressen
Walnut St. Co-op

Tree Bressen