Re: Seeking advice re mentally ill community member
From: Fred H Olson (fholsoncohousing.org)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 20:00:21 -0700 (PDT)
Frannyola [at] aol.com  is the author of the message below.

Hi, Thank you for sharing your story, Diana. I am very interested in the
outcome and very sympathetic. I cannot even begin to touch the very difficult
and painful and scary issue you are dealing with except that I would turn to
professional help completely. I realized recently when we had a mentally ill
woman attend a workshop I was at at a Unitarian Universalist Conference Center,
how often people in need of balance or in crises are drawn to peaceful,
supportive communities. So this issue will probably come up time and again in
cohousing. As I said, I am completely uneducated in this matter but I will share
the rights and responsibilities document that we follow in our neighborhood.
It  is good to fall back on to remind ourselves of what the minimum
expectations  are.

-Franny

New View Rights and Responsibilities
Guidelines for living together.
Rights
Responsibilities
1. You have the right to feel physically and  emotionally safe and secure
anywhere in the community. 1. All members of the community, adults and
children,
are responsible for acting to insure the physical and  emotional safety of
each other.  2. You have the right to be treated respectfully by  all members of
the community.
2. You have the responsibility for considering  the impact of the words and
actions of all members of your household  (including pets) on others in the
community and for treating members  of the community respectfully.  3. You have
the right to express your opinions and  feelings without fear of negative
consequences. 3. You have the responsibility for expressing your  ideas in a
manner
which is both sensitive and appropriate.  4. You have the right to define the
ways in which  you will meet your responsibilities for supporting the needs
of the  community. 4. You have the responsibility for contributing to  the
community in such a way that its needs can be met.  5. You have the right to
determine how information  of a confidential nature will be communicated. 5. You
have the responsibility for insuring that an  individual's desire for
confidentiality will be respected.  6. You have the right to express religious,
spiritual, political or other views of a personal nature in the  community. 6.
You
have the responsibility for insuring that  public expressions of one's views are
presented in such a way so as  to respect the rights of those who do not
share in them or wish to  participate in them.  7. You have the right to privacy
of action within  your own home and the right to the exclusive use of your own
yard. 7. You have the responsibility to abide by all  local, state and
federal laws while in (or with respect to) public  areas of the community.  8.
You
have the right to your own beliefs and  values. 8. You have the responsibility
for demonstrating  tolerance towards those whose beliefs and values are
different from  yours.   9. You have the right to free use of all those  things
which the community owns in common. 9. You have the responsibility to share and
care for  those things which the community holds in common such that you do  not
deprive others of their use.  10. You have the right to have conflicts
permanently  resolved. 10. You have the responsibility to work in good  faith
toward
conflict resolution.

To _New View home  page_ ( http://www.newview.org/default.htm )
To _Community Life  page_ ( http://www.newview.org/community_life.htm )