Re: Local Distilleries Provide a Way for Small Farmers and Rural Entrepreneurs
From: Stuart Joseph (stuartcaercoburn.org)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 06:56:44 -0800 (PST)
I like this idea. Caer Coburn Scotch seems like a natural.

It is interesting that we are returning to the past to find solutions for the future.

Making whisky (spelling is correct) is a time honored tradition for small farmers, from the Scots and the Irish in the 16th Century, to the PA farmers of the Whisky Rebellion in the 18th century, to the moonshiners, past and present, making whisky has been a great revenue source for small farmers.

FYI, you also need a distillery license to make ethanol.

Carol Gulyas wrote:
There is a great article in yesterday's New York Times about people
successfully transitioning in mid-life to create profitable local
distilleries.  I thought it would be a great idea for co-housing communities
who are on farmland:  Here's a link to my blog with the story.

http://carolgulyas.typepad.com/greengeezer/2007/11/green-geezer-bu.html

Stuart Joseph, 802-463-1954
Project Director
Caer Coburn, a traditional village based upon cohousing  and intentional
communities in
Rockingham, Vermont, USA
http://www.caercoburn.org
Mail to: