Re: Cost of living after move-in
From: Lynn Nadeau (welcomeolympus.net)
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:55:33 -0800 (PST)
I'd reinforce what Sharon and Larry have detailed. I don't spend less, but I get more. Economies are inherent if a group has major downsizing built in, and major sharing built in: an example would be the planned Port Townsend EcoVillage, and a number of non-cohousing intentional communities. To the extent that your cohousing has amenities which allow or require smaller units, there is that savings. In our community, RoseWind Cohousing, we benefit from shared amenities, but they are more than what I would own myself. Without access to shared items, I simply would not own a TV, Cuisinart, truck, projector, power mower or weed whacker. If I were not in cohousing, I could still arrange some carpooling, bulk buying, and shared equipment among friends. As Sharon says, this is very dependent on energetic individuals who set up and run such systems. What I get are the extras, plus the more-important social benefits. Any cost computation would need to include my annual assessment of about $1000, which is for community costs (we pay our own property taxes, homeowners insurance and house costs, ourselves). As a community, we pay for things like liability insurance, legal or accounting services, irrigation and mowing, fencing, common house repair-maintenance-utilities, etc. Clearly in ten years I have not saved $10,000 in borrowed gear or carpooling, but it has been well worth it for the other benefits.
Lynn Nadeau, RoseWind Cohousing (long built), Port Townsend WA