Re: RFPs and developers
From: Larry Miller (larry.millercharter.net)
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 11:10:31 -0800 (PST)
Paul L Della Maggiora wrote:

"The sticky part is this: the land owner we are purchasing from insists that we
not sell the
land to a third party, and he refuses to sell to professional companies (after
having been
burned).  If we have someone do
the development and building in a traditional sense, we would essentially be
flipping the land.
"

This shouldn't be a requirement for a developer. Oak Creek Commons partnered
with Wonderland
Development of Boulder, Colorado, who has done a number of cohousing projects.
The community
retained essential design control and worked with the developer throughout. The
land was
purchased by a core group of members who were willing to make a substantial
commitment. An LLC
was formed. While the developer will be instrumental in obtaining construction
financing, the
cohousing group will likely need to have commitments to purchase a high
percentage of the units
and to be financially invested to a sufficient level to convince a developer
that the project is
viable. This may be even truer today given the housing market situation.

Larry Miller
Oak Creek Commons