Re: A low cost option?
From: Natalie McIntire (nmcintirefrontiernet.net)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:26:43 -0800 (PST)
I have been watching this list for several years, participating on occasion. I want to throw out an idea for a low cost option for cohousing, though our path is not fully formed yet. My family just recently moved to Viroqua, WI, a small town in rural Wisconsin in the heart of organic dairy farms. We have wanted to be part of cohousing for a long time, and for a while we owned a lot in Rose Wind Cohousing in Port Townsend, WA. But even there, we did not feel we could afford to build a house.

We settled on a small community that, while it is not cohousing, has a lot of community happening anyway. And housing prices here are in the range of $80K-$160K for a house in town. What a relief to not have a mortgage at all. We do hope to develop cohousing here in some way, either through a new development or through neighborhood in- fill. Our dead end block at the edge of town has at least 5 other homes that are for sale formally or informally. Maybe we will find others who want to create a tighter knit community who might want to buy right here, and it may be cheaper to buy than build new. Small town life may not be for everyone, but we find the quality of life here excellent, especially for raising kids. Being able to bring your work with you can help make a move like this easier, but others have done it and found satisfying work here in town.

We don't have a vision statement or anything yet, but if anyone has an interest in this place or this idea, drop me an email.

Natalie McIntire
nmcintire [at] frontiernet.net