Re: Enclosed "Street" Between Homes
From: Susana Michaelis (susanapacificgardens.ca)
Date: Tue, 6 May 2008 01:23:47 -0700 (PDT)
Hello everyone,

I was on holidays and so missed this thread previously. I am thrilled to see the collection of pictures so diligently copied for us by Luk Jonckheere in Belgium. Great job!

I am one of the original members of Pacific Gardens Cohousing Community in Nanaimo, BC on Vancouver Island. Our glass-covered indoor pedestrian walkway is a unique feature that we are extremely excited about. It covers 2 floors and links all 25 units to the common house and to each other. I think it will be a very popular design concept for future projects!

We will be able to visit each other, have a spontaneus chat, sit and have coffee, watch children play, and go to the common house....without getting our coats and shoes on in the winter!! We got the idea from Windsong and have designed the glass panels to allow easy retrofit of solar hot water panels onto the south-facing peaks in the roof. This adds extensive common areas in addition to the common-house. We envision plants, tables and chairs, art-work, banners, street lights and a very welcoming space to lead you to your "front" door.

The great news is that we have our full building permit and our construction loan! The foundation has been laid and we are now putting up walls. This week we have a Grand Celebration with City officials, contractors, media etc. It is really happening!! Completion could be as early as December, which would make for a terrific year-end party. There are still units available, but they are going quickly. We have some great 2 floor, 3 bedroom and den units, perfect for a larger family or a home-based business.

For those of you self-developing, who think it will never happen, don't ever give up! Even though it has taken us at least 10 years, we have all stretched our comfort zone and and grown tremendously in so many ways. Each of us have contributed immeasurably to the design and development, and we feel passionate about our creation.

All the best to each of you,
Susana Michaelis
www.pacificgardens.ca
250-754-3060