Re: Work or Pay Systems - Authorization
From: Sharon Villines (sharonsharonvillines.com)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:15:04 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 17, 2008, at 7:08 PM, OC611NGC wrote:

Our community has instituted an authorization policy. No task shall be
recognized as legitimate unless authorized by an overseeing committee.

Our community would never allow this. The full membership is the decision making body here, so any committee that proposed this would be out on their ear. No one would go along with it.

Of the tasks you mentioned about people doing things in such a way as to damage things, when that happens here an email goes out pointing out the damage and why it happened, and asking people to consult so and so if they need help.

We have someone in charge of most of our community processes, places, and equipment, so if anyone decided to water the CH plants, for example, the person in charge would notice and put out an email suggesting a better solution or informing people that she takes care of this.

We do a pretty good job of avoiding Gestapo like rules and yet taking good care of the facilities. Sometimes I wish we were better at having a more orderly and thrifty workshop, for example, but on the whole few things are broken or damaged out of inappropriate use. Neglect, perhaps, but not purposeful. That also goes back to skills -- where a community has people with specific skills and knowledge different things are possible.

Sharon
----
Sharon Villines
Takoma Village Cohousing,Washington DC